Monday, October 31, 2011
Friday, October 28, 2011
- Rate it All - http://www.rateitall.com/
- Webquest: Write Your Own Creation - http://www.zunal.com/webquest.php?w=116359
- Digital stories - http://www.artofstorytelling.org/
- Myths and Legends Story Creator - http://myths.e2bn.org/story_creator/
- News books and links - http://www.dogonews.com/
- My Hero Project - http://www.myhero.com/go/home.asp Check out the Guestbook: no account needed
- Find a Book/Write a Book - http://tarheelreader.org/
- Where do you want to go and why? - http://timespentalone.com/destinations/
- Day Tipper – suggest trips for prizes - http://www.daytipper.com/
- Memory Share - http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/memoryshare/home
- Share your Ideas - http://www.calacademy.org/share/#/browse/rating/1/
- NYT Student Opinion - http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/category/student-opinion/
- Post an Explanation - http://twick.it/index.php
- Explain and discover song meanings - http://www.music-explained.com/
- Web of Fate – discuss and make predictions about current issues - http://www.weboffate.com/
- Make recommendations to the Web – don’t like the connections options but do not see any terms of service with age requirements - http://hellohype.com/
- Dropping Knowledge – create and respond to life’s questions - http://www.droppingknowledge.org/bin/forums/list.page
- Faces of Learning - http://www.facesoflearning.net/
- Stories Unbound: write and publish your story online - http://storiesunbound.com/
- StepStation: create step by step guides - http://www.stepstation.com/
- Daily Lit - http://daily-english-activities.blogspot.com/ - can use activities but not join to post
- Create a Travel Guide - http://traveldk.com/how-to/personalized-guides
- Create a Tour - http://www.geotrio.com/
Thursday, October 27, 2011
- Trip Planner - http://www.discoveramerica.com/ca/booking.html
- NYT: Living With Less - http://projects.nytimes.com/survival-strategies?hp
- Virtual tourist - http://www.virtualtourist.com/
- Discover America - http://www.discoveramerica.com/ca/
- Calculate distance to destination including gas costs and driving time. The Automobile Club of America recommends no more than 10-12 hours of driving per day. If your driving time exceeds this amount, calculate a hotel stay into costs.
- Calculate Rate of Change if you are traveling to Canada or Mexico. Remember that you need a passport if you are traveling outside of the United States and will need to add in this cost if you do not already have a passport. This site is helpful in converting currency: http://www.xe.com/ucc/
- Determine activites for destination. Calculate costs.
- Calculate food expenses for destination and travel days.
- Create a Spreadsheet that shows calculations for trip expenses and the exchange ratesif your destination is in Canada or Mexico.
- Devise a proposal that presents all your information using a multi-media format.
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
- Ocean Portal - http://ocean.si.edu/ video, slide shows, blogs, stories
- Deep Sea Creature Database - http://www.seasky.org/deep-sea/deep-sea-menu.html
- Ocean Explorer - http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/welcome.html
- National Geographic: Oceans - http://ocean.nationalgeographic.com/ocean/?source=NavEnvOcean
- Google Ocean Showcase - http://www.google.com/earth/explore/showcase/ocean.html#explore-oceans
- One Ocean - http://oneocean.cbc.ca/
- World Database on Marine Protected Areas - http://www.wdpa-marine.org/#/countries/about
- Marine Census articles and videos - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11443210
- How Stuff Works Ocean videos - http://videos.howstuffworks.com/search.php?terms=ocean&media=video
- The Guardian: Environment: Marine Life - http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/marine-life
- The World of Whale Wars - http://animal.discovery.com/tv/whale-wars/map/
- WSJ: Global Marine Census article and infographic - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704631504575532400073230596.html
- What’s in our Oceans infographic - http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/sfl-ni-census-of-marine-life-gulf,0,65947.htmlpage
- Coral Reef - http://www.harcourtschool.com/activity/science_up_close/111/deploy/interface.html
- Who’s Been Dumping in my Ocean infographic - http://www.marisys.com/ocean-pollution-not-just-for-the-oil-companies/
- Land and Sea Infographic: Tallest Mountain to Deepest Ocean Trench - http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/infographic-tallest-mountain-to-deepest-ocean-trench-0249/
- Ocean Expeditions - http://www.ceoe.udel.edu/expeditions/index.html
- Whale Tales – simplistic info/format - http://www.northcanton.sparcc.org/~elem/interactivities/whales/readlearnaboutwhales.html
- Ocean Adventures Games - http://www.pbs.org/kqed/oceanadventures/funandgames/games.html
- CBBC Newsround - Diwali the Hindu Festival of Lights - http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_1650000/newsid_1654900/1654973.stm
- CBBC Newsround - A child's report of her activities during Diwali - http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/club/your_reports/newsid_1677000/1677032.stm
- Diwali Vocabulary Activity - http://www.eslholidaylessons.com/10/diwali.html
- Festivals of Light Around the World - http://www.everythingesl.net/lessons/light_festivals.php
- National Grid for Learning: Diwali for kids - http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/ngfl/re/b-dag/ngfl-container/re-unit3-en.html
- British Counsel Kids Stories: Diwali (complete puzzle to get to story) - http://www.britishcouncil.org/kids-stories-favourite-day-diwali.swf
- Diwali Resource - a whole page of links to vocab and activities - http://www.michellehenry.fr/diwali.htm
- School House Rock on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/artist?a=4oVf-d_DwKAM98Bb1umFDEJC0yu-UN8v
- Web Search Lessons on Google - https://sites.google.com/site/gwebsearcheducation/overview
- Snag Films – educational videos for everything -http://learning.snagfilms.com/
- Downloadable Ed resources (kits) for all subjects including related arts -http://www.kitzu.com/
- Reel is a great way to upload a PPT presentation to the web, or to make a PPT embeddable and viewable on your wiki (without download). Here is an example of a presentation on Reel http://reelapp.com/c163d0, and one embedded on my wiki http://schafert21.wikispaces.com/Coaching
- Explania - http://www.explania.com/en - animated explanations
Related Arts: Focus on Art
- Art – Waltee’s Quest – learn about art while solving the Case of the Missing Art. - http://www.walteesquest.com/
- Great Museums Television- http://greatmuseums.org/explore
- Virtual Library, Museums of the World - http://archives.icom.museum/vlmp/
- http://www.cybrary.org/art.htm - Resources on artists, art history, and artistic genres
- http://fraboom.com/ - Online children’s museum
- Musical animated words - http://www.rightwork.jp/fontdemusic/#permalink?id=370
- http://www.klowdz.com/ - create pictures from clouds
- Prehistoric Child Art - http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/10/06/141042561/the-child-artists-of-prehistory
Language Arts and Social Studies:
- http://www.youngzine.com/ - Online magazine/news source for kids with a section for student admissions and the option to upload and create accounts for your class
- http://calibre-ebook.com/about – Free eBook app, library of free eBooks
- http://www.myamericanfarm.org/ - American Agricultural information and activities
- http://www.shaded-relief.com/ - Interactive Shaded Relief World map, great tool for Lat/Long
- http://www.handsonhistorylibrary.org/historicalgis/default.aspx - GIS projects
- http://legacy.teachersfirst.com/globetracker/about.cfm - Globe tracker, follow and participate in Geo and Merry's world travels.
- http://www.vocalyze.com/web/termsofuse.html - Listen to the online news, this is great for students who struggle to read. They can research and listen to information they may find to dry or not be able to read.
- http://www.readthewords.com/Default.aspx - reads the webpage to you, this tool can also help students with reading difficulty or vision impairments.
- http://classparrot.com/ - Text parents or students for easy updates, with one message the word can go out to all of your parents or whomevery you put in the group. This could be a great tool for class trips and coordinating chaperones.
- http://cooltoolsforschools.wikispaces.com/Image+Tools - various tools for teachers, this is just an amazing resource all teachers should keep handy.
- http://sociologyplus.com/2011/09/23/google-tips-guides-and-resources/ - Guide to Google+, Wondering what the deal is and if you should bother? Check this out.
- http://www.drawastickman.com/ - draw and animate a stick man – pointless but fun!
- http://simplemeet.me/# - instant chat room
- http://www.browzmi.com/ - search the internet collaboratively
- http://liveminutes.com/oneclick/ - collaborate online; whiteboard, docs, videos, maps, skype
- http://www.wevideo.com/ - Create, collaborative video stories
- http://awwapp.com/ AWW, a whiteboard app
- http://mind42.com/mindmaps - digital graphic organizers
- http://teachercast.net/ - teachers helping teachers
- http://www.teachersdomain.org/ - digital media for the classroom
- http://www.youtube.com/education - Youtube Education
- Upload PPT to the cloud - http://www.reelapp.com/
- http://videodropper.ep.io/ - A place to store and download Youtube videos
- https://www.dropbox.com/ - online storage that works with video dropper
- http://www.dropitto.me/ - Have others turn in items to your drop box with Drop it to me.
Great resources for technology in music class.
- WV Ed Music Resources - http://wvde.state.wv.us/learn21/6/8/music/
- http://www.cybrary.org/music.htm - Resources on composers
- http://musescore.org/ - download required
- http://www.ujam.com/ - create a song from your voice
- http://www.jamstudio.com/Studio/index.htm – song creator
- http://www.folkstreams.net/film,109 – Folk Streams
- http://www.audiotool.com/ - Google Chrome app for song creation
- http://www.voisse.com/ - Podcasting
- http://weezic.com/en/ - search
- http://tones.wolfram.com/generate/ - Music and Math
- http://www.noteflight.com/login - music notation
- http://www.musipedia.org/ - Wikipedia for music
- http://www.music-explained.com/ - Discover or Explain the meaning of song lyrics
- To drive the concept home, they created a project using the data provided in Wolfram Alpha. http://www.wolframalpha.com/
- Students will compare population, literacy rates, life expectancy, and unemployment rates of five different countries they will study throughout the year.
- Using data collected from Wolfram Alpha, students are creating graphs in Excel and an online program called Create a Graph.
- The following is a link to the project site; http://sites.google.com/site/graphsandresearch/.
- Mrs. Santora supplied links to resources and graphic organizers to the students, through Edmodo.
- The class worked in groups to collect information about the treatment and compare it to the treatment of other muscle and bone disorders.
More great stuff from the West Virginia Department of Education, Larry Ferlazzo, and the National Day on Writing
- WV Ed. LAL Resources - http://wvde.state.wv.us/learn21/6/8/languagearts/
- Timeline creator that does not seem to have an age requirement - http://whenintime.com/BrowseTL.aspx
- National Day on Writing - http://www.ncte.org/dayonwriting/about
- Collection of Grammar games and activities - http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/interactive/literacy2.htm#adj
- Printed words through history - http://books.google.com/ngrams/
- Comma Chameleon - http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/grammar/punctuation.htm
- WV Ed SS Resources - http://wvde.state.wv.us/learn21/6/8/socialstudies/
- US History curriculum by Larry Ferlazzo - http://unitedstateshistory.edublogs.org/
- American Civil War simulation - http://www.activehistory.co.uk/Miscellaneous/menus/Year_9/american_civil_war/game/frameset.htm
- Past 100,000 years in human history info graphic - http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2011/09/the-last-100000-years-in-human-history/
- http://astro.unl.edu/naap/lps/animations/lps.swf - Lunar phases animation
- http://www.kidsciencechallenge.com/index.php - 6th graders’ science challenge
- http://vimeo.com/25811412 - Aurora Borealis explained
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogtKe7N05F0 – Aurora Borealis seen from space.
- http://wvde.state.wv.us/learn21/6/8/science/ - WV Ed Science Resources
- http://studyjams.scholastic.com/studyjams/index.htm - Sing along to Math and Science
- http://mathbydesign.thinkport.org/ - Games that challenge the mind and require multiple step solutions to real world math problems.
- http://www.eddataexpress.ed.gov/ - Great site for real data to collect and manipulate or draw conclusions from.
- http://wvde.state.wv.us/learn21/6/8/math/ - WV Ed. Math Resources
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Learning to Search, P-Table, PaperRater
- Visualize molecules: http://alteredqualia.com/canvasmol/#Graphite
- Periodic Table - http://ptable.com/
- New BBC Science games – http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks2bitesize/science/brands/mi_highhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks2bitesize/science/brands/sarah_jane_adventures/
- New BBC Math games - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks2bitesize/maths/brands/bamzooki/
- Money: https://www.doughmain.com/odmpublic/games/irulemoney/index.php
- http://playspent.org/ - Great lesson but asks for donation at end.
- Ruler Game - http://www.rsinnovative.com/rulergame/
- Copy and paste paper to evaluate word choice, grammar, spelling and more: http://paperrater.com/free_paper_grader
- Kids Web Japan - http://web-jpn.org/kidsweb/
- Listen to what’s written or listening skills - http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2008/05/28/the-best-listening-sites-for-english-language-learners/
- World Crunch - http://www.worldcrunch.com/
- Compare your writing or modern writing to Shakespeare - http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/08/how-shakespearean-are-you/
- New BBC English activities - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks2bitesize/english/brands/trapped/
Social Studies: historical images
- Art - http://www.colorcube.com/play/play.htm
- Search free sound effects - http://www.soungle.com/index.php
- Hispanic Heritage Month - http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2008/09/03/the-best-resources-for-hispanic-heritage-month/
- A Google a Day: Teach your students how to search - http://agoogleaday.com/#date=2011-09-19
- Learn to search - http://www.boolify.org/
- Kid Safe Videos - http://thekidshouldseethis.com/
- Grade 6 T21 - http://www.energysavvy.com/
- Find a great source online that needs some tweeking? Try PDF to Word - http://www.pdftoword.com/Default.aspx
- http://learninglab.org/life_skills/cyberbullying/ - Life Skills according to Garfield
- PBS Teachers: Technology Integration - http://www.pbs.org/teachers/librarymedia/tech-integration/
Fact practice – student first names only - https://www.xtramath.org/
http://www.tenmarks.com/tmother/teacher-index - Math practice
http://www.geogebra.org/cms/ - Download Geogebra for use on your whiteboard.
http://www.geogebratube.org/ - videos
Language Arts and Social Studies:
Political Cartoons - http://cybraryman.com/politicalcartoons.html
Amazing Map Sites
http://www.buildamap.com/ - beta
http://quikmaps.com/ - doodle on Google
http://www.geotrio.com/ - create tours
Art and World Language - http://littlebirdtales.com/
http://www.pronunciator.com/ - 60 languages. 3 million lessons. 100% free. The world's largest language-learning service.
Art Images - http://arthist.umn.edu/aict/
Caffein instant video chat room - http://www.caffein.tv/
Magisto – mash video clips - http://www.magisto.com/
PhotoCollect - http://photocollect.net/
Drop Event - http://dropevent.com/
Slide Staxx – limited slide show for pictures, video, and URLs, online content only -
Careers and World Languages
Science and Math Resources
- Anatomy and Biology videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/bullharrier?feature=mhum
Financial and Career Readiness
- Lemonade Stand - http://www.omsi.edu/exhibits/moneyville/activities/lemonade/lemonadestand.htm
- Financial Fitness for Life - http://fffl.ncee.net/activities/6-8/6-8.htm
- Personal Finances - http://www.omsi.edu/exhibits/moneyville/activities/getreal/getreal.htm
- Savings Quest - http://www.mysavingsquest.com/
- Start a comic shop - http://disney.go.com/hotshot/hsb2/
- What’s Up in Finance - http://www.thirteen.org/finance/
- Everyday Life Project - http://www.gcflearnfree.org/everydaylife
- Kids Work! – Virtual workplaces - http://www.knowitall.org/kidswork/index.html
- Education Wizard - https://www.vawizard.org/vccs/Main.action
- Salary.com - http://www.salary.com/mysalary.asp
- Resume builder - http://www.emurse.com/
Language Arts and Social Studies
- Similar to a Flat Stanley project - http://langwitches.org/blog/2011/09/10/why-and-how-to-participate-in-teddy-bears-around-the-world-project/
- http://education.usgs.gov/common/lessons/teaching_with_topographic_maps.html Great map resources
- Find the Lat and Long of anywhere in the world - http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html
- Go Social Studies Go - http://www.gosocialstudiesgo.com/
- Thumbscribes (13) - http://www.thumbscribes.com
- Early Photographs of Musicians Around the World - http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2011/08/02/vintage-music-archival-photographs/
- Breaking Bread Everywhere - http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/01/breaking-bread-everywhere-plentifully-or-pitifully/?src=daypPictures of what people around the world eat in a day.
- Other world cultures links from Larry Ferlazzo - http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2010/08/11/the-best-sites-for-learning-about-the-worlds-different-cultures/
- Transmitti – Downloadable translator app - http://www.transmiti.org/en/index.html
- Karaoke for ELL - http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2008/10/15/the-best-online-karaoke-sites-for-english-language-learners/
- Games for every subject area - http://www.mrwylie.com/
Cool Techie Tools
- AMAZING - http://www.sidevibe.com/ Unfortunately, only allows for 50 student accounts per teacher.
- http://www.pageflip-flap.com/ - Turn your text files in to page flipping books!
- http://www.jotform.com/ - Seems like a robust program but haven’t had enough time to play with it to see if it is better than Google forms.
- http://magazinify.com/ - Convert your Bookmarks and favorite articles into a pdf and mail it to yourself.
Science and Math Resources
- Symphony of Science - http://symphonyofscience.com/
- Eyes on the Solar System - http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/eyes/
Language Arts and Social Studies
- More on 911 - http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2011/09/08/new-911-resources-are-coming-online-pretty-darn-quickly/
- Story Corps - http://storycorps.org/animation/ - animated videos of radio stories. “Our mission is to provide Americans of all backgrounds and beliefs with the opportunity to record, share, and preserve the stories of our lives.”
- Boom Writer - http://www.boomwriter.com/home/Schools - BoomWriter is a supremely engaging creative writing website that has students reading, writing and assessing content in ways they’ve never done before!
- http://teachinghistory.org/teaching-materials - free online and print materials
- LA Teachers’ Wiki - http://drwalsh.wikispaces.com/General+Information
- Art - http://www.whiteboardblog.co.uk/2011/09/10-great-art-resources-for-your-interactive-whiteboard/
- World Language - http://en.educaplay.com/index.php
- Teacher Resources:
Cool Techie Tools
- http://www.pageflip-flap.com/ - Turn your text files in to page flipping books!
- http://flisti.com/19665 - Example of a Flisti, no sign-up, one question poll maker
- http://popplet.com/ - Brainstorming, graphic organizers, mind maps
Wikispaces has added Projects